[Nmh-workers] Trouble getting send/post working with ISP smtp

2003-11-27 13:30:05
What i am trying to do:

Using nmh (1.1-RC1) as a mail agent on a standalone
linux PC with emacs and the mh-e as front-end.
Mail is delivered and send via an external POP3 and SMTP server hosted
by my ISP

I followed all the guidelines I found in the man pages and the
corresponding articles
in the comp.mail.mh group that had a similar issue and provided the
necessary
login information in
the .mh_profile, mts.conf and .netrc files.

My .mh_profile:

draft-folder: drafts
unseen-sequence: unseen
inc: -host pop.isp.somewhere.net -user user(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)net
send: -verbose -server mail.isp.somewhere.net -user
user(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)net -sasl
post: -verbose -user user(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)net -sasl
Editor: emacs

My mts.conffile:

mts: smtp
hostable: /etc/nmh/hosts
localname: pop.isp.somewhere.net
masquerade: draft_from
mmdfldir: /var/mail
mmdflfil:
pophost: pop.isp.somewhere.net
servers: mail.isp.somewhere.net

My .netrc file:

machine mail.isp.somewhere.net login user(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)net password
mypassword
machine pop.isp.somewhere.net login user(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)net password
mypassword

After that set up POP3 works just fine but SMTP gives me the following
message:

post: problem initializing server; [RPLY] 551 {mp003} Need to
authenticate via
SMTP-AUTH-Login

To me that looks like that post is not using the provided login
information in .netrc.
but inc works smoothly with that information. Some kind of strange
asymmetry.

Is anybody able to help me with the missing information?
It seems that only a bit of information is missing to get it working.

Regards in advance
Georg Lenz