Re: [Nmh-workers] Trouble getting send/post working with ISP smtp

2003-11-28 20:30:11
[...]
After that set up POP3 works just fine but SMTP gives me the following
message:

post: problem initializing server; [RPLY] 551 {mp003} Need to
authenticate via
SMTP-AUTH-Login

To me that looks like that post is not using the provided login
information in .netrc.
but inc works smoothly with that information. Some kind of strange
asymmetry.

To provide a bit of history ... authentication for POP has been
around since the beginning of the POP protocol, which itself is almost
20 years old.  Authentication for SMTP is relatively new.  So it's not
surprising that some programs support authentication for POP and not
SMTP.

But nevertheless ... the version of nmh you're using _does_ support
SMTP AUTH.  You need to compile it with Cyrus-SASL support
(--with-cyrus-sasl).  I actually don't recall if it will use the
info from your .netrc ... but a quick look at the source code leads
me to believe that it will.  Note that if you don't already have
Cyrus-SASL compiled, it can be ... tricky to get working.