Re: [Nmh-workers] Re: nmh current development

2005-05-17 14:19:57

On May 11, 2005, Bill Wohler <wohler(_at_)newt(_dot_)com> wrote:
Jon Steinhart <jon(_at_)fourwinds(_dot_)com> writes:
I'm willing to take over
releases if need be.  Any time that I've tried to push on this in the
past the current maintainer has gotten offended and promised to eventually
do something.  We did have a change in maintainer a few years ago, and I
get the idea that that person got burned out by the savannah problems.
I'll take it over if that's OK with the current maintainer.

With Savannah, there is no need to "take it over." You probably
already have commit privileges. I think Ken would consider giving one
or two others release privileges as well.

If Ken goes this route, or hands over the reigns to you and you go
this route, it might be useful to create a nmh Maintainer's Document
to keep the project managers on the same page.

I've been keeping up a maintainer's guide for the MH-E project at:

  http://mh-e.sourceforge.net/doc/devguide.html

This will be useful if I get hit by a truck and someone else needs to
figure out what was going on in my mind. I find it invaluable as a
checklist every time I make a release as well.

Feel free to use this as a starting point for the nmh project. If you
do, let me know and I'll give you instructions for getting the Texinfo
source via CVS or you can grab it yourself via ViewCVS.

Actually, there already is one for nmh, the docs/README.developers file that
I created when I was handling releases.  It definitely needs to be updated,
as it still refers, e.g., to copying the tarball onto mhost.com rather than
Savannah.

--
Dan Harkless
http://harkless.org/dan/