[Nmh-workers] Going forward and all that

2005-05-22 12:36:05
A few comments...

Despite my signing up as the new maintainer, don't expect much to happen for
a bit.  Now through mid-July is my busiest time of year, so there isn't much
spare time.

It's nice to see a flurry of activity on the mailing list.  'Course, that's
not the same as doing any real work.  Turn some of that posting energy into
results, even if it's just adding some comments here and there.

The debate over ways to go forward is interesting from a philosophical level
but largely irrelevant to me.  Going forward is going to happen by people
who are willing to do work actually doing it.  Those who aren't going to do
any work aren't really in a very good position to dictate to those who are.

Those of you that want to see some testing, write some tests.  Those of you
who want improved documentation, write some.  Those of you who want to fix
bugs should do so.  Same with those of you who want new features.

Remember, it doesn't have to be perfect and complete, although it would be
best it it didn't break anything (of which I'm guilty).

Pretty pompous, eh?

My plans for when I get some time in July is to produce a working nmh-1.2
or whatever release that doesn't have any show stopper bugs so that it can
be included in distros.  After that it's time to embark on new adventures.
For myself, I'm cleaning up bits of the code, and am mainly focused on the
mime-reading thing that was discussed recently.  It would be nice if people
who are willing to do work would post what they're planning to do.

Jon