Re: [Nmh-workers] outstanding patches

2005-05-24 02:42:34
Tet wrote:

These days, yes it is. The number of systems actually running nmh without
COW is probably pretty negligible by now. Even for those where vfork()
is actually faster (like NetBSD, for example), there's no real advantage
to using vfork() unless you're forking an awful lot of processes, and
we're not.

I tried searching on Google and what I could find backs up this point.
The UNIX programming FAQ suggests that it is probably unwise to use
vfork() at all (http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/programmer/faq/index.html).

So how about we change all the instances to fork()? If it causes
problems for some system then presumably we'll find out. And judging by
the original Debian bug report, it would be solving a real issue on at
least Linux.

Oliver