Re: [Nmh-workers] [nmh-1.2] a serious bug in the nmh configure script

2005-12-22 05:36:49
Joel Reicher wrote:
The problem is in aclocal.m4. Change the "==" to "=" and autoreconf.

Now fixed in CVS. (nmh-workers seems to be eating my emails or being
very slow with them, so I've also CCd you directly).

Regarding finding ndbm.h, I don't fully understand why the logic in
the file is the way it is. The DB_DBM_HSEARCH doesn't actually appear
to be used anywhere, so I can't comment on why it looks for db.h "before"
looking for ndbm.h.

DB_DBM_HSEARCH has to be set to get libdb's db.h to provide the
'historical' APIs we use. As for ordering, your guess is as good as
mine, really -- I don't have access to a huge range of systems for
testing so I mostly left the logic as it was. Really we should be
checking for lib and header as a single check, but that would be a
horrendous pile of autoconf.

This problem wasn't present with 1.2-RC1, so there's no reasonable way
we could have picked it up, IMHO. Don't know why the change was introduced
for 1.2 without further testing, although I recall some discussion about
gdbm in the last couple of weeks.

Mmm. I did try to flag up here that the aclocal.m4 change needed
testing on a variety of systems if we could manage it. My apologies
for breaking what turned out to be the final release.

-- PMM