Re: [Nmh-workers] [nmh-1.2] a serious bug in the nmh configure script

2005-12-22 07:55:26
I understand the issues a bit better now, thanks to

http://www.unixpapa.com/incnote/dbm.html

The tests are finding an implementation of the ndbm API. First try
is Berkeley DB version 1, then gdbm, then Berkeley DB version 2. The
problem with the last test is that it is done by only checking for
the existence of db.h, and on NetBSD this header exists for another
reason. I'm not experienced with this kind of thing, but I suspect the
correct fix is to add a usability check for db.h, i.e. see that a call
to some ndbm function can be compiled.

The more I look at what's on NetBSD the more I think this is Berkeley DB
version 1, it's just that the headers aren't in a db1 subdir. I think
the check should be for gdbm/ndbm.h first, then ndbm.h, then db.h, then
db1/ndbm.h. While this doesn't cater for the situation where a vendor
supplied ndbm has been replaced by Berkeley DB version 1, I think it's
reasonable for the installer to give configure the path if they're unhappy
with the vendor version.

Cheers,

        - Joel