Re: [Nmh-workers] [nmh-1.2] a serious bug in the nmh configure script

2005-12-22 10:45:23
In message <E1EpBmA-0000BZ-00@mnementh.archaic.org.uk>,
pmaydell@chiark.greenend.org.uk writes:
Igor Sobrado wrote:
In short, the configure script has some lines that use what seems the
wrong operator (==).  NetBSD complains when running "./configure",
OpenBSD does not complain.

Curses; I knew that change would break on something :-(

Indeed, it would break on nmh itself!  :-)

Anyway, == was a thinko, which obviously bash allows.

Remember, GNU is *not* Unix.  ;-)

Perhaps someone with a better knowledge on the configuration script
used by nmh can provide some feedback on this matter.

If you edit aclocal.m4 to change the == to a single =, rerun autoconf
and configure, does that fix the problem?

No, it does not fix the problem.  I have installed autoconf, but it
requires m4 and perl too.  After changing aclocal.m4 as suggested
and run autoreconf the "configure" script "works" but slocal.c fails
when looking for the same header file:

[...]
gcc -s -o rcvtty rcvtty.o scansbr.o termsbr.o ../config/version.o
../config/config.o ../mts/libmts.a ../sbr/libmh.a     -ltermcap
../sbr/libmh.a(m_tmpfil.o)(.text+0x25): In function `m_tmpfil':
: warning: mktemp() possibly used unsafely, use mkstemp() or mkdtemp()
gcc -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.. -I. -I..   -Wall -O2 slocal.c
slocal.c: In function `suppress_duplicates':
slocal.c:1533: error: `datum' undeclared (first use in this function)
slocal.c:1533: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
slocal.c:1533: error: for each function it appears in.)
slocal.c:1533: error: parse error before "key"
slocal.c:1534: error: `DBM' undeclared (first use in this function)
slocal.c:1534: error: `db' undeclared (first use in this function)
slocal.c:1563: error: `key' undeclared (first use in this function)
slocal.c:1568: warning: implicit declaration of function `dbm_open'
slocal.c:1586: error: `value' undeclared (first use in this function)
slocal.c:1586: warning: implicit declaration of function `dbm_fetch'
slocal.c:1595: warning: implicit declaration of function `dbm_store'
slocal.c:1595: error: `DBM_INSERT' undeclared (first use in this function)
slocal.c:1600: warning: implicit declaration of function `dbm_close'
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /home/sobrado/tmp/nmh-1.2/uip
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /home/sobrado/tmp/nmh-1.2

Sorry... in any case, it is the first time I use autoconf and perhaps
I did something wrong (I have an extraordinary ability to break things
too!).  I started with a fresh source code tree, changed the m4 file,
run autoreconf, "./configure" (it now works) and "make".

(an updated nmh would be great, but nmh-1.2 has been
released some hours ago)

Probably this merits 1.2.1...

Indeed... on the other hand, I think that releasing nmh versions more
frequently (e.g., one or two times each year) to fix small bugs is good.
But it is a decision that must take the release engineering team.

At last, I am very sorry for not providing feedback on this issue
before nmh-1.2 was released.

This particular change didn't go into any RC, only straight into 1.2.

And this change will make nmh-1.2 the shortest release in the twenty five
years of MH.  :-)

But at least it will overclock the release engineering team, that has
not provided a production release of nmh since 2000!  ;-)