Re: [Nmh-workers] [nmh-1.2] a serious bug in the nmh configure script

2005-12-22 10:33:51
In message <200512221404.jBME4v9U002882@succubus.panacea.null.org>, Joel
Reicher writes:

The more I look at what's on NetBSD the more I think this is Berkeley DB
version 1, it's just that the headers aren't in a db1 subdir. I think
the check should be for gdbm/ndbm.h first, then ndbm.h, then db.h, then
db1/ndbm.h. While this doesn't cater for the situation where a vendor
supplied ndbm has been replaced by Berkeley DB version 1, I think it's
reasonable for the installer to give configure the path if they're unhappy
with the vendor version.

Indeed, you are right, NetBSD is using Berkeley DB release 1.85 for
license reasons.  From http://netbsd.org/Documentation/software/3rdparty/:

db:
     Version in tree: 1.85
     Current Version: 1.86/4.3.28
Maintainer(external): Keith Bostic <bostic@vangogh.cs.berkeley.edu>
        Archive Site: http://www.sleepycat.com/download/index.shtml
               Notes: Note that we cannot use db 2.x for license reasons.
                      Three bug fixes against 1.85 sent back to bostic. Changes
                      to man/recno.3, hash/hsearch.c, and hash/ndbm.c
                      (serious). Import of DB 1.85 was done via a sh script
                      which converted the distribution into the netbsd format.
                      The script can be found in src/lib/libc/db/db2netbsd.

Best regards,
Igor.