Re: [Nmh-workers] Wishlist item - beefing up slocal pattern matching

2005-12-25 15:40:37
On 25 December 2005 at 11:02, "Mike O'Dell" <mo(_at_)ccr(_dot_)org> wrote:
Norman Shapiro wrote:
Although pick matches a lower case letter in the pattern insensitively,
upper case letters in the pattern match only upper case letters.

i never knew this. it's an amusing hack which makes lotsa sense,
assuming you know about it (grin).

It's great for searching if you know that the subject or body has
a word or acronym with some upper-case.  But it's a pain when you
forget this semi-case-sensitive behavior and a search fails.

One of the suggestions for mh-format was that we add -script to
specify a different scripting language than the default.  Maybe
we should think about adding a switch like -regexp or something
to pick and friends that specifies regular expressions?  Even if
we don't want case sensitivity, I can sure think of cases where
full regexp handling -- even with greedy and non-greedy stars
and more, like Perl -- would be handy.  Right now I resort to
writing a Perl or other script to do some searches that plain
shell-type wildcards can't do.  (I haven't checked the code.
This might be hard to implement  But hey, this is a wishlist. :)

Jerry