Re: [Nmh-workers] exciting new stuff for 2.0 (IMAP proposal)

2006-01-05 21:09:27
I want to do IMAP too.  I have an idea for design:
1. a .rc file with credentials (i.e. username, password and IMAP server)
2. All mh folders as normal, except if a directory has a ".imaprc" (or
   similar) file in it, then it has no real files -- it is a reference
   to an IMAP folder

Is it really necessary to have all this extra filesystem stuff? The IMAP
credentials could go in the same file as the current POP mechanism, which
I think is .netrc, and the syntax +foldername could be augmented with
a special character to indicate an IMAP folder instead of a local one.

The special character could even be incorporated into a special syntax
that specifies username and hostname, optionally. Something akin to
the scp remote file location syntax.

AFAICT, this covers everything you'd want from IMAP functionality, and
if the special characters are special enough, is unlikely to interfere
with any user's existing folder names.

Cheers,

        - Joel