Re: [Nmh-workers] What is MH ? (was: exciting new stuff for 2.0 (IMAP proposal))

2006-01-10 10:52:41
I have mail stored on an IMAP server.  I think it's perfectly
reasonable that I should be able to do "scan +IMAP:inbox" (or however
you want to indicate that a particular folder is on an IMAP server; I

Why not extend that to +mbox:inbox for mbox folders?

If someone wanted to do that, more power to them.

Seriously, though, perhaps you could consider extending msh to support
IMAP. At least in msh, users don't expect their scripts to work.

I'd personally be happy with msh supporting IMAP.  That would solve my
problem.

I don't contend that this wouldn't have it's uses but I would argue that
a user-space filesystem would be far more useful.

I have two technical concerns with a user-space filesystem.  One is
that right now it's rather unportable.  The second is that if you want
to use something like Kerberos (or anything that involves accessing
credentials from a user's context) it is technically challenging to
make the user's credentials available to the process performing the IMAP
access.  Both of those are solvable problems, but they're a lot of work.

And, like Robert, I have many scripts used in conjunction with MH.
Without similar IMAP support in these, MH doing IMAP would be of limited
use to me.

But given that MH doesn't support IMAP now, it's not exactly a functionality
loss, is it?  But to be fair ... if your scripts used mhpath, then I think
it would be relatively easy to do the right magic to make them work.

Anyway, I've said my peace.