Re: [Nmh-workers] What is MH ? (was: exciting new stuff for 2.0 (IMAP proposal))

2006-01-09 12:19:04
The suggestion to make an IMAP filesystem (as linux centric as the
original suggestion was) is clearly the direction that would allow
MH and IMAP to work together properly.   Embedding IMAP knowledge into
show, next, scan, pick, refile, ... just fails to meet almost any useful
objective.

With all due respect to kre, who has forgotten more about Unix than
I will ever know ... I cannot disagree more.

I have mail stored on an IMAP server.  I think it's perfectly
reasonable that I should be able to do "scan +IMAP:inbox" (or however
you want to indicate that a particular folder is on an IMAP server; I
have no strong feelings on the matter), and I have yet to see anyone
offer a reason why this is _not_ a "useful objective".  Yeah, an
integrated MUA may do that better ... but I guess I don't see that as a
reason to not add a feature to MH.  If we start using that as a metric
for not adding features to MH, we might as well pack it up now and go
home, because everyone is going to realize that most other MUAs do the
things that they want better and nmh development will wither and die.
Note that this has almost happened several times already.

Yes, it breaks your csh script .... if you want to use it with an IMAP
server.  I guess I don't see why that's necessarily bad.  I view it as
"something new you can do with the tools you have gotten used to".
Clearly you would never use it, so it wouldn't impact you at all.

And if you really wanted to make everybody's scripts work with MH, you
could do some work with "mhpath" to pull down messages as they were
needed.