Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh on Ubuntu

2006-04-22 14:52:00
Joel Reicher wrote:
I'm getting the error "post: can't exec no: No such file or directory" when
trying to send a message with nmh.

This looks suspiciously to me as if nmh has been compiled on a system
with no sendmail binary. Configure looks for sendmail and puts the
sendmail path it finds in as a default value. If it can't find anything
I think it defaults to 'no'...

You can test this by putting 'sendmail: xyzzy' in mts.conf
to see if the message now says 'xyzzy'. If it does, see if saying
'sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail' makes the problem go away.

If this is the case you should report it to Ubuntu (or debian, if it's
not been recompiled by the ubuntu guys) as a packaging bug -- it should
Build-Depend on something that provides /usr/bin/sendmail.

This should be fixed in CVS.  I ran into this problem quite some time ago
and fixed it (it was found by a Fedora Extras nmh user).  It's a bug in the
configure script.  If configure can't find the sendmail binary, it defaults
to "no".  Now if it can't find sendmail it defaults to something sensible,
/usr/sbin/sendmail.

--
    JB