Re: [Nmh-workers] [NEWBIE]: fetchmail/procmail and inc

2007-01-13 07:50:41
I am a real newbie at MH (nmh, mh and mailutils) but I am trying
to learn how all of this works. I just love the fact I can read
my mails either using the shell commands or using a GUI (such as
MH-E).

My main problem is this:

how can I tell 'inc' to launch fetchmail ?

Why do you want to do this? What is fetchmail doing for you?

For instance, if you're only using fetchmail to collect your mail from
a POP server, just use inc instead; it can do this.

If inc can do that, will procmail still be used or not ?

Using procmail is a different kind of problem. Here's how I understand
things.

Roughly speaking, you have three stages to consider:

retrieving mail -> filtering mail -> storing (delivering mail)

inc and fetchmail are solutions to the first stage, but inc then jumps
straight to the third by storing the retrieved mail. You can, however,
use temporary storage, filter what has been stored, and then store it
again.

procmail is a solution to the second AND third stage, since it knows
how to store in MH folder format. The (simpler and less powerful)
equivalent is slocal, which only solves the second stage.

rcvstore is the MH solution to the third stage.

If you'd like to keep existing procmail recipes, you have a choice of
getting procmail to store the mail itself, or pipe it to rcvstore.
If, however, you're only starting out, you may find slocal easier to set
up.

The problem of retrieving mail is the same in either case, however. Use
fetchmail OR inc, but not both. As long as it works, I doubt it will matter
much what you choose.

Cheers,

        - Joel