Re: [Nmh-workers] [NEWBIE]: fetchmail/procmail and inc

2007-01-13 09:53:50

Hi Xavier,

Fetchmail is used to retrieve my mails. It then passes them to
procmail which stores them into my mail spool.

procmail can also store into MH folders, e.g. ~/mail/inbox, IIRC,
removing the need for the inc stage.

The problem of retrieving mail is the same in either case, however.
Use fetchmail OR inc, but not both. As long as it works, I doubt it
will matter much what you choose.

As of today, I use *both* fetchmail and inc. Fetchmail/procmail are
used to retrieve/sort/filter/store mail into my system wide mail
spool. Inc is there to update my $USER mailbox. It works ok but I am
not satisfied of this. I want inc to do almost all the job except
sorting/storing (which I want procmail still to do).

Since fetchmail can do more complex fetching than inc, likewise procmail
can do more complex filtering than slocal I suggest you leave them to do
the work they're already doing and either have procmail put stuff in
your inbox or create ~/bin/inc that kicks off fetchmail and then runs
/usr/bin/mh/inc.

Cheers,

Ralph.