Re: [Nmh-workers] [NEWBIE]: fetchmail/procmail and inc

2007-01-13 11:37:24

In the message dated: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 19:22:29 +0100,
The pithy ruminations from Xavier Maillard on
<Re: [Nmh-workers] [NEWBIE]: fetchmail/procmail and inc > were:
=> Hi Ralph,
=>
=> > > Fetchmail is used to retrieve my mails. It then passes them to
=> > > procmail which stores them into my mail spool.

I do the same thing.

=> >
=> > procmail can also store into MH folders, e.g. ~/mail/inbox, IIRC,
=> > removing the need for the inc stage.

Exactly.

=>
=> Hum, but then, how "MH" knows about new messages ? I think I am
=> missing something. Does inc just store messages and nothing else
=> or does it do some other stuff (such as updating a "database of
=> new mails") ?

Sure. Here's a sample recipe:

RCVSTORE="/usr/lib/nmh/rcvstore"
:0 :inbox/LOCK
{
        # Deliver mail via nmh rcvstore to the folder
        :0
                | $RCVSTORE +inbox

}

=>
=> > Since fetchmail can do more complex fetching than inc, likewise procmail
=> > can do more complex filtering than slocal I suggest you leave them to do
=> > the work they're already doing and either have procmail put stuff in
=> > your inbox or create ~/bin/inc that kicks off fetchmail and then runs
=> > /usr/bin/mh/inc.
=>
=> Problem is I am not sure how procmail and mh can cooperate. Do
=> you have any procmail examples ?
=>
=> Once again, thank you for clarifying things to me :)
=>
=> Regards,
=>
=> Xavier Maillard
=>
=>
=> Nmh-workers mailing list
=> Nmh-workers@nongnu.org
=>

-----
Mark Bergman    Biker, Rock Climber, Unix mechanic, IATSE #1 Stagehand

http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=bergman%40merctech.com

I want a newsgroup with a infinite S/N ratio! Now taking CFV on:
rec.motorcycles.stagehands.pet-bird-owners.pinballers.unix-supporters
15+ So Far--Want to join? Check out: http://www.panix.com/~bergman