Re: [Nmh-workers] IPv6-ifying nmh

2009-01-13 08:57:58
What's probably most important is to not issue bogus error messages.

That is, if getaddrinfo() returns a v6 address, but connecting to
it fails (after which you go on to try a v4 address perhaps, which
also fails) the common practice of reporting the first detected error
is often what causes problems.

Heh, I understand where you're coming from.  I guess it's a bit of a double-
edged sword.  I personally hate it when applications hide the real error
from me ... those are important!  But as you point out, what is the "real"
error?  How do I know which one to report to the user?

Perhaps the "right" thing to do is to report a generic "Unable to connect"
message in the normal case, and a more verbose messages if debugging is
turned on (via -snoop or some other flag).  Presumably if you're using
-snoop then you have the intelligence to understand which errors are
significant (or you're sending the output to someone who does understand
which errors to care about).