Re: [Nmh-workers] More old crap: "servers" entry in mts.conf

2009-01-13 13:18:16
So I was wallowing through sbr/client.c, and I came across some weird
code that kicks into place when you prefix a \01 in front of a hostname
in the "servers" line in mts.conf.  It turns out that when you do that,
the code in client.c calls getnetbyname() on this name and then
iterates over all of the hosts available (using gethostent()) and tries
to connect to every server on the named network.

Since this won't work unless you have all of the relevant hosts in your
/etc/hosts file (or you have them in YP/NIS/similar), and I personally
find the utility of this feature rather dubious, I propose to junk
this feature completely.  Objections?

Obviously if this feature is removed, I'd update the man page.  I seem
to remember that the default mts.conf had this as an example, but it seems
like that's been cleaned up for a while now.

--Ken

I'd vote for getting rid of it.

Jon