Re: [Nmh-workers] Autoconf changes & new feature

2010-11-19 16:28:24
Chad Brown wrote:
On Nov 19, 2010, at 12:22 PM, Ken Hornstein wrote:
Now you can no longer say --with-cyrus-sasl=[DIR]; you have
to say --with-cyrus-sasl and use CPPFLAGS/LDFLAGS to add any options you
need for getting SASL from an alternate location.

While this isn't a big deal personally, I will hazard a guess that
this change is unacceptable to nearly every package distro.  I don't
know that we care, but I'd further guess that they'll either add the
functionality back in or (more likely) not include these versions of
nmh.

Debian currently builds --with-cyrus-sasl=/usr/include
which I think would correspond to just using --with-cyrus-sasl.
And most distros ought to be able to cope with setting CPPFLAGS
and LDFLAGS for the build.

But I do think it would be nicer if changes to remove existing
functionality and break back compatibility of build scripts
were discussed first and committed second (this one will break
my personal build-from-cvs setup, for instance, because I use
the debian packaging on cvs sources). Also there doesn't seem
to be anything in ChangeLog about this...

(I'd forgotten how lousy cvs was until I came back to
nmh; I don't suppose we could get consensus on moving
to a VCS with actual support for atomic commits and
other modern conveniences? :-))

-- PMM