Re: [Nmh-workers] Autoconf changes & new feature

2010-11-21 14:48:13
On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>
wrote:
The way every other autoconf package works is that when it gets done, it
results in a Makefile that sets CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS appropriately, It sounds
like what was done here was create a situation where you have to say:

export CPPFLAGS=yadda
explor LDFLAGS=yadda
make

to build it.  And that won't fly for distros that have automated build
machinery.

I agree, that would not work for distros with automated build
machinery.

I'm not familiar with how the various distros automate their
build processes, but the general statement that requiring the
setting of envvars to configure a build cannot be automated, is
hogwash.

The more accurate statement is more likely the following: Requiring
the pre-setting of envvars before building a package is something
existing distro build systems are not tailored to support.

However, I do wondering about the robustness of build systems
that do not support setting envvars as part of the build configuration.

BTW, at least in bash, you can do:

  CPPLAGS="yadda" LDFLAGS="yadda" make

I've forgotten how many time I've set envvars this way for a
single program I needed to execute w/o affecting my current
environment.

--ewh