Re: [Nmh-workers] Autoconf changes & new feature

2010-11-20 05:34:00
Ken Hornstein wrote:
So, I vote we move to git; objections?

I'd be very much in favour of a move to git.

I could put up with svn, if only because git-svn works very well.
You're one of the people with the requiste savannah permissons to effect
the change, right?

David Levine writes:
Should we move the current nmh project to maintenance-only
mode, and start up a separate nmh2?  It need not promise
perfect backward compatibility, I would think reason enough
to start anew.

Evidently I'm the only person here that actually thinks there's some merit
to the idea provided someone has the time to work on it. The advantage
of Python is there are probably a lot of mail handling modules already
out there and config files could simply be in Python instead of needing
mh-format(5) stuff. But Python with its weak typing tends to be almost as
bad as Perl for long-term maintenance.  I'd actually write significant
chunks in shell functions (As I've mentioned in the past, I have my own
zsh based version of prompter that uses completion). I hate the way the
current folder is shared across all shell windows with MH (I hack around
this with $MHCONTEXT despite that having some associated problems).

Oliver