Re: [Nmh-workers] Understanding nmh (aka. What's the goal) [ reallynon-ASCII message bodies ]

2010-12-09 07:12:36
Oliver wrote:

These are definitely just wrong -- we shouldn't be specifying
name and x-unix-mode for the body text

Yes, that's badly wrong. I've never used -attach, one of the reasons being
that I didn't like it including x-unix-mode. Another thing that bothered
me was that I couldn't get it to apply the attachments but defer sending
so that I could run list to see the results.

I quickly got used to that.  alist lists the attachments.  list shows
them, ordered, in the headers.

Adding -attachformat 1 to the send entry of your .mh_profile
will get rid of the name and x-unix-mode.  That option can

The name is useful for actual attachments although we should really be
using Content-Disposition for that.

We do, almost, with -attachformat 1.  We include filename in the
Content-Disposition of an attachment.  We also include name in the
Content-Type.  That seems to be common (mis-)usage.  And see below
about mhstore using the Content-Type name.

Here's an example with a plain text attachment, using -attachformat 1:

  ------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

  This is the body of my message;

  ------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

  Here are the contents of my text attachment.

  ------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0--

For the body, I can't understand why anyone would want either name
or x-unix-mode.

mhstore ignores Content-Disposition.  If there's no name in
Content-Type, it generates a name based on the message
number.

David