Re: [Nmh-workers] some indexing results

2011-02-15 13:51:13
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 13:59:07 -0500

Some of us keep our nmh directories on network filesystems.  I think a
cache there to speed up scan would be a huge win; of course, I'm not
the one who has to write the code :-)

i've got that code written, with a caveat.  right now the sleepycat files
are in ~/Mail/inbox/mhindex.db, ~/Mail/outbox/mhindex.db, and so on.  if
you want the cache to be on the local disk then i'd need to create these
as ~/Mail.mhdb/inbox.db, ~/Mail.mhdb/outbox.db, and so on.  this i can do,
if it sounds useful to anybody (especially if they'll do the integration!)

it doesn't speed up the case where the mail store is on local UFS.  (and
maybe not ZFS either, i'm checking my tuning there.)  but it would make a
huge difference for NFS.