nmh-workers

Re: [Nmh-workers] some indexing results

2011-02-08 16:29:58
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 15:28:13 -0600
From: Earl Hood <earl(_at_)earlhood(_dot_)com>

I have reservations about that.
In the example you cite, I would have -noautowrap always be the
default.

ok.  then we'd want some option i could encode in my .mh_profile saying
to do the autowrap heuristic to guess when format=flowed is in use but
has not been signalled, and only when isatty(STDOUT_FILENO) is true; and
another option that i can use in my shell scripts that forces this to
happen even with isatty() is false.  i want "show | patch" to work
with no special options, but i want "show" to look right for most e-mail
with no special options.  i think we can do this.  it's just more subtle,
but tty UI's are always subtle.  (that's probably why i like tty UI's.)

Of course, if the MIME content-type header does state format=flowed,
then auto-wrapping should occur as defined by the format=flowed
spec.  For cases when output is redirected to a non-tty device,
you may need an option that allows one to specify the max column
count so nmh would know what the wrap boundary is.

yes, and yes.  (good thought that last.)