Re: [Nmh-workers] More configuration stuff (acconfig.h)

2012-01-05 13:55:59
On 1/5/2012 7:41 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
REALLYDUMB    - What this does is prevent adrsprintf() from appending a
          local hostname if a username doesn't have one.  You know,
          I really think this should be a run-time option instead.
          Anyone care if I make it so it is?  (The default can
          be off to match current behavior).

Shouldn't this be the decision of the message submission agent? For
instance, the MSA has a much better idea of what the domain part of
the address should look like.  I'd argue for ripping it out altogether.

appending a local host name is almost always the wrong thing to do. let
the MTA fully qualify stuff if the next-hop isn't another local mailbox
(or even if it is). this is policy, and does not belong in the user agent.

RPATHS        - Construct Return-Path headers from "From " lines.
          I say keep it, since it's been around forever (a fair
          amount of code, actually).

I'm going to argue for the removal of this code, as well.  The
Return-Path header should be inserted by the delivering MTA, and I
can't think of any modern MTA that doesn't.

i have to agree. multiple From_ lines was a uucp-ism and predates
Sendmail. the systems that still work this way are pre-ANSI C and
pre-POSIX and won't be able to compile NMH in any case.

BUILTIN_FTP    - This was the only code I didn't add IPv6 code to.  It's
          turned on right now, but I have to question how useful it
          is (it's built-in ftp support for mhn).  I haven't seen
          MIME messages with external-body parts in forever, and
          even if we did get any I think this work should be forked
          off to an external ftp program or something like curl.
          Thoughts?  Actually, I wonder how many MUAs support
          MIME external-body anyway (okay, a quick Google shows
          that it's non-zero, but I suspect that a lot of it is
          done via http rather than ftp anyway).

I still receive (and send) the occasional message with externals.  But
the internal FTP support should be nuked.  It doesn't handle any of
the modern FTP extensions (authentication, UTF8, modern file listing).

strong +1 here. link against a library to get this; don't reimplement
FTP locally.