Re: [Nmh-workers] Dealing with missing From: header during send.

2012-01-09 10:38:37

On 2012-01-08, at 18:36 PM, Ken Hornstein wrote:

I cannot decide what is the correct behavior here; opinions?  Seems like
both of these behaviors are wrong in their own way.  I am working
on the assumption that we will make DUMB the default, unless people really
want to include code to handle MMDF and UUCP addresses.

They are both wrong in terms of RFC582[12], although the REALLYDUMB case gives
the submission agent a fighting chance of rewriting the the envelope and
message From addresses into something that will work in practice.  But there
are no guarantees that REALLYDUMB+MSA-rewrite will work, either.  E.g. an
RFC4409 submission agent is free to reject a message with an unqualified MAIL
FROM.

Rather than guess, we should treat the absence of a From: header in an outgoing
message as a configuration error and abort the send. This change makes the
creation of a components file with a 'From:' header mandatory; the code that
initializes the Mail/ folder should probably be extended to prompt for a
default From address which is then used to create a minimal components file.

--lyndon