Re: [Nmh-workers] Dealing with missing From: header during send.

2012-01-09 13:40:52

Why not have a check in send/post that if the From: header
is missing, it reports an error and aborts the operation?

I propose quite the opposite: Why not install sane components
files on installation but still allow users to rely on header
rewritting if they like to?

I think installing sane personalized components files is largely
uncontroversial. The only drawback I can think of is, that on
updates of the default components files, users with existing
installations won't get these updates without manual intervention.

I guess, this would only affect systems with many users, which are
quite rare these days and on such systems the admin could still
make up his mind how to ensure proper headers in outgoing mail.

I think this will likely be needed regardless since anyone
could delete out any pre-defined From: header in the
draft before send/post receives it.

So what? The worst thing that would happen might be that the
message gets discarded somewhere or somebody has to take extra
effort to figure out how to reply to it.

There is already lots of malformed mails out there anyway and
nmh in particular doesn't try much to keep users from sending
bad messages in other cases. (Like sending 8bit messages without
adding mime headers, etc.)

Harald