Re: [Nmh-workers] More configuration stuff (acconfig.h)

2012-01-09 08:32:07
Okay, I'm starting to remember what I used REALLYDUMB for in the past.
If you don't supply ANY From header, REALLYDUMB controls what the From:
line looks like.  Normally that only happens in a few weird circumstances
(but the default forward templates do that, for instance).  It also
ends up affecting what you use as the "From:" header in the SMTP dialog.
I think I need to research exactly what happens here before we should
make a decision.

Alright, so here's the answer.

If you don't include a From line in your draft, if you do NOT define
REALLYDUMB, the default From: line is
<localusername(_at_)localmachine(_dot_)name>
(and that's used as the "From:" SMTP envelope address as well).

If you do define REALLYDUMB, then your default From: line is <localusername>
(and that's also used as the default SMTP envelope from address as well).

If you do include a From: header in your draft, that is always used.

I cannot decide what is the correct behavior here; opinions?  Seems like
both of these behaviors are wrong in their own way.  I am working
on the assumption that we will make DUMB the default, unless people really
want to include code to handle MMDF and UUCP addresses.