Re: [Nmh-workers] A € for your thoughts - should we fix UTF-8 subject output in scan for 1.5?

2012-05-21 09:56:32
Should this be fixed? Absolutely. But I'm not seeing a massive benefit
in rushing it through into 1.5 this late in the release process, though.
It's been broken forever. Waiting until 1.6 won't hurt.

Here's the thing ... it's only been broken for some people.  So you
could argue it's a portability issue.

Incidentally, I'd say OS X is very buggy if it's interpreting bytes
above 127 as whitespace in a UTF-8 locale, given that no single byte
in that range is valid UTF-8. There's an argument for iscntrl(), but
even that's a bit tenuous. I'd probably just say that all of the
isxxxx() functions should return false for those values.

My question back to you: do the is* functions take bytes, or
characters?  If they take bytes, then I agree with you.  If they
take characters ... well, I'm not sure what is right.