Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.5RC3 no longer honors mts.conf localname setting for Message-ID?

2012-06-05 22:03:20
Whether I need to or not, I don't know - it might be ancient voodoo that
I've never updated.

There seems to be a lot of that among MH/nmh users :-)

I do know that I needed it when I wanted to use userid@domainname as
my return address rather than userid@machine.domainname - as the
machine name isn't exposed to the internet, but my domainname is.

Back in "the day" that was normally rewritten for you by your local
MTA (assuming the administrator of your site was reasonably competent).
But to borrow a phrase, the world has moved on since then for good
or for bad.  These changes we're discussing here in 1.5 have all
been about bringing nmh into the modern world.

This has changed a bit over the years because providers have stopped
allowing open relays (which is a good thing).  Now I have had to
enable masquerade and adding a ReplyTo: line to each of the components.

FWIW, in 1.5 masquerade is now always on and you can set your local
mailbox name directly in the .mh_profile; also with the new changes you
have a chance to see what nmh thinks your "From:" line should be, which
strangely enough was always a mystery before.