Re: [Nmh-workers] Naive Queston About nmh Man Pages

2012-06-07 07:21:01
David Levine <levinedl(_at_)acm(_dot_)org> writes:
Ken wrote:

[Norm wrote:]
While you're on the subject, how do I get makewhatis to include
the hierarchy at /usr/local/nmh/share/man, without running
it myself every night via crontab?

I don't have any familiarity with your particular Linux variant,
but most versions of man (and by extension, catman/mandb/makewhatis)
have some mechanism to adjust on a systemwide basis the search path
(SLES has manpath.conf, BSD-derived systems have man.conf).  "man man"
might be a good place to start.

Norm, I'd look for /etc/man.config on a Red Hat system if there
is no /etc/man.conf.  If it exists, adding a line like this should
do it:

MANPATH /usr/local/nmh/share/man

or if you put other packages in /usr/local/ and want to handle all
of them with one entry:

MANPATH /usr/local/*/share/man

Thank you, that worked. Though, the makewhatis run by
/etc/cron.daily/makewhatis.cron, did not use /etc/man.config. I had to:

  sudo "makewhatis -w"

    Norman Shapiro