Re: [Nmh-workers] mhmail

2012-06-14 09:53:33
4. YES THERE IS!! mhmail is more properly thought of as draft composition
utility, and not as a cheap version of send.

I wouldn't claim to have greater knowledge of MH history than you, Norm ...
but are you sure about that?

I was looking at the man page for mhmail just now, and it specifically says
that it's intended for things like "cron", where it's pretty common to do
something like:

0 2 * * * some cron command | mailx -s "Nightly job" admin,root

Easy enough to drop in "mhmail" instead of mailx there.  So it looks like
to me that mhmail is around because it's kind of a pain to do that with
the existing nmh suite.

But if we're talking about draft composition ... well, shoot.  We already
have "comp" for that.  Give it a custom form file and you're all set.  But
it doesn't exactly fit in a cron pipeline, does it?

We have a bunch of tools that want to pass through the options for "post"
so it occurs to me we should maybe factor that out into some common code
to make it easier.  If we did that then making the existing mhmail use that
would be a snap.