Re: [Nmh-workers] m_getfld

2012-12-16 10:21:26
I don't know. I don't know that the new API looks like.

Yeah, that's kind of the problem, isn't it?  Nobody does :-/

Also, there
might be some difficulty, keeping mhstore and mhlist upward compatible
with their older, less powerful, versions. This might adversely affect
the design of the new programs' interfaces.

Well, FWIW, I think creating new programs would be a mistake.  We'd have
two programs which did the same thing; that seems just like a recipie
for disaster.  Also, our test suite already does testing on mhstore and
mhlist; making those programs use the new API is a great way to test
the new API.  Sure, you could write tests for these new programs, but
what is the gain?  Now it may work out that mhstore and mhlist might need
to be completely rototilled internally; even if that's the case, I think
that it would be less work than writing new programs from scratch.

But of course, this is all up to whomever decides to write the new API :-)