Re: [Nmh-workers] message rewrite/fix up

2013-02-04 11:19:45

Paul Fox <pgf(_at_)foxharp(_dot_)boston(_dot_)ma(_dot_)us> wrote:

=> david wrote:
=>  > Ken wrote:
=>  >
=>  > > Although, if you're grep'ing for something, you'd think you'd
=>  > > still find it in text/html (if it wasn't base64-encoded).
=>  >
=>  > Might as well go to text/plain along with decoding.
=>  > Even Q-P is bothersome, esp. for replying.

It sounds like you're talking about applying something like replyfilter to
received mail.

=>  >
=>  > > Perhaps we should think about extending pick to decoding
=>  > > base64 and q-p for part searching.
=>  >
=>  > My thinking at this point is to make the guts of the
=>  > fixer-upper available to repl and forw.  I hadn't thought
=>  > about pick but it should be able to use them as well.
=>
=> are you picturing a one-time "fix this message" command, which leaves
=> it greppable, replyable, editable, etc, but fundamentally changed, or
=> more of a library of operations that are applied any time we want to
=> do one of those things to a message, in order to leave the original
=> unchanged?
=>
=> i thought you were planning the former (which i think i'd prefer, if
=> we trusted it :-), but what you say above makes me no longer sure.

I like the latter, because I fundamentally dislike altering mail once it has
been received.

However... I see that altering it in-place is probably easier, and the result
is available "everywhere" without still-more-hooks to filters, etc.

Hmmm...what about abusing something like the comma-prefix used by rmm to keep
the original , unchanged message? When the fixupfilter is run, it copies
$messageID to ,$messageID.orig (or some such). Of course, this would imply
extending rmmproc, refile, "folder -pack", etc. to deal with the [semi] hidden
"orig" file in parallel with the fixed message.

Mark

=>
=> paul
=> paul fox, pgf(_at_)foxharp(_dot_)boston(_dot_)ma(_dot_)us (arlington, ma,
where it's 19.4
=> degrees)

Brrrrr!

Mark