Re: [Nmh-workers] Setup help???

2013-05-03 16:54:51
On Fri, 03 May 2013 11:09:14 -0400 Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Then my OS (Ubuntu 10.04) will work.  B-)  I've avoided building
my own installs because I got tired of maintaining dependencies,
the main advantage (for me) of using Ubuntu.  (It used to be so
easy:  install GNU, then install X, then install a couple of
"etc." software like MH and emacs.  B-)

I know what you mean.  I think in terms of external
dependencies we aren't so bad (although if you want to submit
email to gmail, you'll need cyrus-sasl and openssl, but those
are becoming more and more standard nowadays).

I'd never heard of cyrus-sasl before, but I'd been installing
openssl for awhile (I forget why).  Yeah, come to think of it, MH
was never a reason I became tired of maintaining dependencies.  B-)

Funny -- I was thinking of downloading the NMH source and hacking
it to stop it doing that, and then I read on some webpage that it
was sendmail that did that.  (Bad information!)

Just curious ... where did you read that?  AFAIK sendmail won't add a
Sender header, but I could be wrong ... definitely in your case nmh
was doing it, as you've discovered.

I can't find a specific mention anymore.  (It's possible that I
actually jumped to that conclusion, based on what I read.)

I wasn't aware I was using spost.  (Actually I wasn't aware of
the existence of an NMH package program called "spost" before.)

Well, if you don't have a postproc in your .mh_profile, then I guess
you're using the sendmail MTS.  You can look in mts.conf for that.
We've cleaned that up, but that's probably post-1.5 (but it shouldn't
be needed for this problem).

Nope, my .mh_profile is fairly minimal, and definitely doesn't
contain a "postproc" entry.  (According to the file's date stamp,
I haven't changed it since 2002.  B-)

Again, it looks like 1.5 would be my best friend.  B-)

Not having to use sendmail has appeal, although I would still
need it for the incoming email that I fetch from GMail.  Though
I suspect that there's a way to do that as well without needing
sendmail.  (Ah, never needing sendmail again!  B-)

You could probably do that with "inc", the nmh tool designed
for that :-). Might need some finessing with the current
limitations on inc, though.  But it should be doable.

Hmm, as in "inc" will do the fetching for me (so that I won't need
to use "fetchmail" anymore)?  Oh wow, it does!  (It's been a long
time since I read the man page for inc ....  B-)  What are the
"limitations" that you hinted at?

                                Bob