Re: [Nmh-workers] A useless but interesting exercise: Design MH from scratch in the 2014 context

2014-02-19 19:31:59
Maybe it's time to rethink where the
UI functionality lives, with a view to creating a new set of commands
that become the interactive front end, calling out to the traditional
commands to do the back end grunt work. This would allow the non-UI bits
to be cleaned up for scripting use.

Maybe a set of primitives, like "mhcat" that would let you output a part
of a message on stdout, and front-end programs like "show" would just
be drivers to one or more mhcat processes?  Also, mhstore could use mhcat.
Just shooting from the hip on that one.

I feel about that like I do about Paul's rearchitecturing of the nmh
library: I think that's a great idea, my only concern is who, exactly, is
going to write that code?  I don't have enough time on my plate to finish
the relatively straightforward things like RFC 2231 support; that's a huge
rearchitecturing.  I don't want to discourage anyone from tackling a tough
problem; please, if you've got the time, go for it!