Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.6 Release Engineering

2014-03-07 21:02:52

On Mar 7, 2014, at 5:53 PM, Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:

One shows up under "git tag".  The other shows up under "git branch".
Assuming we do annotated tags, you can even use git cat-file to
distinguish between the two even easier.  I'm having a hard time
understanding the problem.

In git, a tag is just a label on the hash for a particular commit.

A branch, OTOH, creates a cut point that becomes an anchor for diverted
development.

E.g, try this:

  git checkout nmh-1_3

You are now on an orphan branch -- git can't divert commits from the head based
upon a single tag.

Undo this by saying 'git checkout master' to get back to the head.  Then, 'git
checkout posix'.  Now you are in a part of the revision tree where you can play
to your hearts content.

This is no different than the branch work you've been doing for the MIME header
bits.  I'm just trying to formalize the naming scheme a bit better than has
been done in the past.  And perhaps lay down some guidelines as to when to cut
off commits in preparation for the release.