Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.6 Release Engineering

2014-03-07 19:13:48
With 1.6 approaching, now is a good time to rationalize our repo tagging
a bit.

What I'm thinking is we get everything for 1.6 onto the head, then cut a
RELENG_1_6 branch.  That will become the basis for the 1.6 release.  In
the branch we only do what is necessary to get 1.6 out the door.  I.e.
critical bug fixes, release notes, etc.

Well ... we were all over the place, part of that was the limitations
imposed by CVS branch naming before.  For 1.5 we had a branch named
1.5-release, and 1.5-RC1, 1.5-RC2, and finally 1.5.  I think that naming
is fine and we should stick with it.

Once the branch is cut, work can carry on on the head for what will be
1.7, and we will repeat as necessary for future releases.

No objections here.

If that's agreeable, would everyone with outstanding code for 1.6 step
up with a brief description of what they need to commit, and an ETA?
Once everything is in I will take care of creating the branch.

My outstanding changes are:

- Rototilling part display in mhshow
- No display of parts with a disposition of "attachment"
- Creation of a mh-mime man page to tie nmh MIME handling together.

Maybe ... 3 weeks for that all?  Or maybe a month.

So in preparation for all this, if there are no objections, I would
like to declare a feature freeze on commits to the head, other than
any outstanding work that was already planned for 1.6 and is near
completion.  After we cut the 1.6 branch we can open up the head again.

Sounds good to me.