Re: [Nmh-workers] mhshow complaints

2014-04-21 09:23:04
No, that's the way to a world full of crap.  Better it carp about it and
some of us take the effort to make things better but reporting the
problem to the source, e.g.
http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/rfc-violating-content-transfer-encoding-header

Wow, fight the good fight, Ralph; and if you figure out the offending bit
of software causing the problem, let us know.  I have a suspicion that
it's some common email-generating library used by a number of software
packages.

Looking at the WordPress source code ... maybe it's PHPMailer?

   https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/

Yeah, actually, I think it is:

        $uniq_id = md5(uniqid(time()));
        $this->boundary[1] = 'b1_' . $uniq_id;
        $this->boundary[2] = 'b2_' . $uniq_id;
        $this->boundary[3] = 'b3_' . $uniq_id;

Looks like the boundary for the C-T header you posted.

I think it's worth distingushing between this sort of problem, where you're
doing something that's a) explicitly prohibited by the RFCs, and b) is
wrong (in every case I've seen the sub-parts are NOT encoded as q-p).
The extra semicolon ... okay, Eric makes a good point in that why are we
complaining about that?  There's no confusion there on what to do.