Re: [Nmh-workers] new marker format broke test suite

2014-05-06 10:23:34
in particular, the old marker lines included the size of the part
being shown:
   part       text/plain                 18K
and the new marker lines do not:
   [ part  - text/plain -   ]

as far as i can tell, the size of the part isn't currently available
at all via mh-format, let alone in the "human friendly" format that
comes from list_content().  (list_content() produces the format you'll
see if you run mhlist on the message.)

So, there is a function called %(size) which means "the size of the
message".  That's also passed in to the dat[] array, just like %(unseen)
is.  Seems like you could do the same magic that mhlistsbr.c does (which
is call the size function for the part if it's available, otherwise
calculate it based on file offsets).

i have a patch ready to push to master to make the tests match the
current code.  what i'm wondering, though, is whether folks instead
think that the mhshow marker format should grow the ability to produce
the previous output exactly (and if so, that output would likely
become the new default).

Well, you know ... actually, maybe it should get that ability.  I think
having the size is useful.  But ... do we add metric prefixes to that?
Doing that directly in mh-format looks like it's doable, but it would be
awful.  It would probably make more sense to make a new format function
that would take an integer as input and output a string that contained
the number with the appropriate metric prefix appended.  That way you
could do:

        %(metric(size))

And that could be usable in scan formats and the like.  Not in love with
the function name, so other suggestions are welcome.

If you're not up for coding that, I could get to it, but it might be
a few days before it would be done.