Re: [Nmh-workers] Future thoughts: better MIME processing

2014-07-23 13:57:15
for the record, here's the thread from april of last year where
this was last discussed...
  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2013-04/msg00077.html

my view, which seems to agree with current thinking:  making 'repl'
calendar-aware seems like the wrong approach -- creatinga a special
ics handling program would be far more flexible.

as for writing it in C?  i haven't seen an ics attachment lately, but
is posix shell, plus utilities, really not up to the task?

paul

ken wrote:
   > Part of me thinks we should include a tool that interfaces with
   > text/calendar format files and lets people easily view and generate a
   > reply to them.

Yes, if not directly in nmh, then strongly recommended to install.
(In debian terms this would be a "recommended" dependancy, which if
available, is usually installed, but won't cause a failure to install if
unavailable).

It seems that no one really provides a tool that does what we want.
calcurse sort-of does the display stuff, but it's kind of heavyweight
to install just for that.  I think it would be reasonable to provide a
command-line tool that can be used to deal with these.

The lesson from replyfilter seems to me that putting this tool in
"contrib" and writing it in another language (like perl) would result in
it not being used that much, partly because another language would
result in a whole pile of dependencies, partly because if it was in
"contrib" not everyone would know about it.  So this tool should be
written in C and live in base.  I'll think about how such a tool could
be integrated into the "new MIME" architecture I've been musing about.