Re: [Nmh-workers] Thoughts: header/address parsing

2014-08-05 06:41:38
Hi Ken,

Paul wrote:
Ken wrote:
And it continues to this day.

    $ readlink -e `which mail`
    /usr/bin/heirloom-mailx
    $ mail ralph <$N
    No message, no subject; hope that's ok
    $ fgrep From: /var/spool/mail/ralph
    From: ralph(_at_)inputplus(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk (Ralph Corderoy)

That looks like you set that directly with the "from" variable.

Nope.

does mailx/mail even add a From: header?

You're right.  I checked here and heirloom-mailx does a `sendmail -i'
and leaves that to add a `From:'.

the current postfix sendmail program uses the (Full Name) format.  it
fills in the (...) with the name given with -F, or with the contents
of $NAME, or with the fullname from /etc/passwd.

Yep, and I followed that path too.  :-)
http://sources.debian.net/src/postfix/2.11.1-1/src/cleanup/cleanup_message.c?hl=686:692#L676
And I use Postfix.

which doesn't mean it's "common".  but if postfix does it, it may mean
that it's traditional sendmail behavior, and therefore inescapable.

I had a quick look at Exim, and I think it uses <>.
http://sources.debian.net/src/exim4/4.84%7ERC1-3/src/receive.c?hl=2126:2127#L2105
and various other places.  Postfix is very common though.

Cheers, Ralph.