Re: [Nmh-workers] Thoughts: header/address parsing

2014-08-03 18:04:37

On Aug 3, 2014, at 3:54 PM, Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:

It's worth noting that all of the examples
I've seen in RFC 733 and RFC 822 are in the "modern" form;

Never make the mistake of following the examples.  The [A]BNF is always
normative.

Except when it's not (822, etc.) :-P

I'm not sure when 'the gospel is according to the grammar' came in to play, but
it has been wired into my brain so hard that I'm sure it doesn't pre-date 1996
(when I became directly involved in writing IETF 'standards').  It was
certainly the case when IMAP4 arrived on the scene.  I recall having some
rip-roaring flame-fests with people over their loose interpretation of SP in
the IMAP grammars.

--lyndon