[Nmh-workers] A non-complaint

2014-08-06 09:16:38
For some weeks, now, nmh-1.6's mhshow has been working satisfactorily for me.
But there is a glitch or two. I'm not complaining on my behalf, but on the
behalf of some future and similarly naive user, who may be fussier than me,
and on the off chance that my non-complaint may reveal an actual problem.

I am attaching my .mh_profile, a message, and a screen shot of chrome's
display of that message resulting from mhshow.

There are two problems.

1. The file contains a text version and non-text version of the content. But
mhshow ignores the text version and uses the non-text version. I don't
understand mhshow's man page well enough to tell mhshow to use the text
version (and not invoke chrome), under these circumstances. If there is no way
to do this, shouldn't here be a way? Indeed, shouldn't it be the default?

2. There are several spurious occurrences of the character, 'Â' (look ma, I'm
storing in UTF-8) in the chrome display. For example, just after "for another
place to live!", on line 3. I don't know if this is a problem with me, with
nmh, or with chrome.

    Norman Shapiro
--- Begin Message ---
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Greetings neighbors,

We've just been notified that our landlord plans to sell and we need to
vacate our house next month so we're looking for another place to live!

I would love to stay in Barron Park because I've enjoyed getting to know
many of you (especially the dog owners!) and the location is very
convenient for both my work and extracurricular activities (graduate
student at Stanford and volunteer pet therapy team with my dog, Duke, at
the VA hospital).

We are a group of young professionals who include an ER doctor, a Stanford
Postdoctoral Scholar, and a Google robotics engineer.  If you have or know
of anyone with a house to rent in the neighborhood, please let us know. We
are interested in anything ranging from a 3-5 bedroom home.

Many thanks for any leads,
Jess

--
Only members of this Group may post messages (anti-SPAM measure).