Re: [Nmh-workers] Superfluous  's

2014-10-28 04:29:28
Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:

The message contains (the offending line, as part of the HTML part):

=C2=A0 =C2=A0 Norman Shapiro<br>

This part is tagged as:

[…]

What's the solution?  Well, if you look at what we do for text web
browsers like w3m, we change the default character set to the value
specified by the charset parameter.  It does not seem like Chrome
supports that.  You could prepend a default character set to the
HTML, but that seems like it would be fraught with problems.  So I'm
unsure of how to deal with this problem.

Chromium (and so I would guess Chrome) does have a setting for
default encoding ― the default default is Windows-1252, so a
kludge would be for Norm to set that to unicode. This would mess
up viewing some websites that use Windows-1252 (rather than
iso-8859-1) without sending a content type. I don’t know how
often that happens.

A more convoluted (but more correct) strategy would be for the
user to set up a separate config direcotory $CFG in which
unicode has been set as the default encoding and then have mh
pass --user-data-dir=$CFG when calling chrome.

--
Jón Fairbairn
Jon(_dot_)Fairbairn(_at_)cl(_dot_)cam(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk