Re: [Nmh-workers] Superfluous  's

2014-10-28 12:26:11
Earl wrote:

Yep, and that is something that nmh should not do.  As long as nmh can
provide the charset value to an external program, then nmh has done all
it can do.

Ken, is there a % sequence that gets expanded to the charset of the
entity so it can be passed to an external program?

Yes, see mhshow(1).  And if one of w3m, lynx, or elinks was
found at install time, mhn.defaults will contain something
like:

    mhshow-show-text/html: charset=%{charset}; %l/usr/bin/w3m -dump
${charset:+-I "$charset"} -T text/html %F

(The pieces of that get quoted internally as necessary.)

I don't know of chrome or firefox command line options to pass
in the charset.

Norm, I was able to replicate the superfluous characters a
few months ago when we discussed this.  I was not able to
when I tried last night, and I'm running the same versions
of firefox and chrome.  I moved my .config and .mozilla out
of the way, made sure that character encodings weren't set
in the browser, cleared out my environment, and verified
that the html file doesn't have the meta tag.  I don't know
what else to try.

David