Re: [Nmh-workers] date math

2014-12-16 05:05:19
Hi Ken,

So that makes me wonder if we should still try to bother to generate a
symbolic timezone name.

I think you've nailed its coffin shut now, but time zone abbreviations
must die.  From my experience, it tends to only be North Americans that
are keen on them.  The rest of the world has them for their local zones,
but is very aware that they don't know foreigners' ones and vica versa,
so they're annoying for global use, e.g. Internet.  kre said, I think,
how the IETF is against.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_zone#Abbreviations points out

    "ECT", could be interpreted as "Eastern Caribbean Time" (UTC−4h),
    "Ecuador Time" (UTC−5h) or "European Central Time" (UTC+1h)

And https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_time_zone_abbreviations isn't
bedtime reading if one wants to sleep well.  Among the various
duplicates, it suggests those crazy Aussies, kre excepted, even had
Central {Standard,Summer} Time in the past.

Cheers, Ralph.