Re: [Nmh-workers] date math

2014-12-15 19:24:01
The IETF has been discouraging symbolic timezone names for many years.
I would say ditch them.  For those who want a symbolic timezone (usually
recipients) it's so they can easily mentally convert to their local
time.  Those folks are better served by a +nnnn offset that their local
MUA can unambiguously convert to local time for display.  And for those
of us who do care about the senders local time, the +nnnn format makes
it a lot easier for me to do the mental conversion vs. deciphering some
unknown-to-me local-to-them timezone abbreviation.

Note that I was only suggesting that the timezone be displayed at the
local side, and although I didn't mention it I was only going to suggest
it support IETF-sanctioned timezones.  But it seems like there's little
political will for that.  That makes %(tws) and %(pretty) equivalent,
FWIW.