Re: [Nmh-workers] date math

2014-12-15 20:12:29

On Dec 15, 2014, at 5:57 PM, Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:

FWIW, in a rough survey of people who have chimed in on this issue, a
significant majority are in the "Local Time Now!" camp.  So unless others
wish to make their case, I'm going to make that the default.  But I think
Jerrad's suggestion about including the alternative, commented out, in
all of the various files is a good one.

I would urge you to re-read Robert Elz's comments, and spend a day
contemplating the consequences of this change.  He did a much better job
explaining the concerns I have about this.

At the very least, make the change carry the converted info along side the
original.

But ultimately, I think this change is ill thought out and should not be
applied.  Popular (by vote) ideas are not necessarily the correct ones.  For
people who actually use dates (as Robert also pointed out), this change
destroys the point of using local TZ information in the header.  Otherwise, we
would just normalize the date headers to UTC everywhere.

If people want things converted to local time, let them make the change in
their profiles.  Maybe we need an easier format verb to simplify the process –
I certainly would not argue against that.

--lyndon